ZepBound: 2-Month Update

I've just taken my tenth shot! I'm still on the 2.5mg dosage and have lost 18.5 pounds. I'm more than 15% of the way to my target loss of 120 pounds.

Some weeks it's seemed very slow, like I do all this work - weighing, measuring, exercise-ish - and the scale "only" moves by a pound. But then I look at the cumulative effects and am starting to see results. The middle number on my scale has finally moved! I am now in the 230s instead of the high 250s!

However...I have 6 more shots left at 2.5mg before I chat with the telehealth NP again, and am thinking at that point, I *might* want to bump up to 5mg. I'm doing okay-ish, but yesterday, the day before my shot, the food noise was LOUD. I gave in and ate two small bags of chips (320 calories total), but was able to cap it at that. And even with the chips, I was still under my TDEE for the day.  So I was pretty proud of myself! But ngl, the way the noise returned was frightening. Some days I wonder how much of my journey is the shot and how much is willpower, and well, I think yesterday answered that question! Scary.

Here's a secret: My prescribed dosage is 2.5mg, which equates to 50ml drawn from a vial. However, the vials hold more than that, so for the past 2 shots, I've drawn 65ml (30% more), which equates to 3.25mg. I've done this for a couple of reasons. First was that I noticed 2 weeks ago that I was feeling hungrier more often, which I assume was because my body was getting used to the medication so my digestion had sped back up. I don't know if this is actually true as I am an engineer, not a medical professional, but it seems to make sense. The other reason was that if I do go up to 5mg, it would make the transition less abrupt so side effects at the higher dosage would hopefully be more controllable.

I would really prefer to stay with the lower dosage, as the cost at 5mg goes up quite a bit - $450 for 4 vials instead of $300. I can afford it, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

One thing that I find a struggle with is the waiting. Part of me feels like I'm just killing time until the weight comes off. Silly, I know, but it's hard to shake the feeling that my life is on hold. 

Another struggle has been the feeling of flatness. There's a name for it - anhedonia - which is basically emotional blunting, or a dulled response to things that were previously enjoyable. I notice this the most with my music - I have struggled to play anything for the past month! I tell myself that I'm just taking some time off, but really, it's the flatness. I will dig into this on the next post.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Zep: Senior Zep

ZepBound Week 1: Twelve Hour Mark

Zepbound Week 1: Twenty-four hours in